As an appointed or elected commissioner of the Tolono Park Board, you will take on the responsibility for helping to set goals, formulate policies and establish services that will meet the present and future needs of the citizens of our district.
Serving without compensation, commissioners represent our citizens and interpret their views. They have the primary responsibility of spending tax monies, fees and donations designated for park and recreation services.
As a board member it is important that you commit to the “big picture” and the long-term effects of the decisions you make. You should use sound judgment by weighing the pros and cons of each issue, be open to new ideas, and make ethical decisions. In addition, it helps to have the capacity to “take the heat” when unpopular, but necessary, decisions are made.
- Adopt policies that allow the organization to run efficiently, effectively, legally and ethically.
- Request, receive, evaluate and make decisions based on well researched guidance.
- Interpret the agency’s mission, values and vision to the public.
- Monitor operational and capital finances.
- Establish policies after consideration of pros and cons of each issue.
- Help set a strategic direction that adopts goals relating to the vision and mission of the organization.
- Act as a resource, a sounding board and as the eyes and ears of the citizens of our community, making sure that the district is meeting their needs.
- Develop, maintain and update long-range plans.
- Adopt and adhere to a code of ethics.
The Tolono Park District Board currently has open Commissioner positions. We need you, your vision and your knowledge to help make the Tolono Park District thrive and succeed at creating the parks our residents will truly enjoy for years to come. If interested, please join us at our next meeting, Monday, September 11th at the Tolono Police Department, 205 E Main St at 7:00PM.